The Setlist Podcast #001: This Old Barn

Jun 17th, 2016
Podcast Feed iTunes

In this low-key, unplanned inaugural episode of The Setlist Podcast, I mostly ramble on about the TXBA Barn, and share some thoughts about the community of people surrounding and supporting this business.


Here are some pictures of the barn, before any work was done.

  • The front.
  • The basement level.
  • The middle level.
  • The attic.
  • More attic.
  • And more attic.

The Basement

Last summer/fall I did a bunch of work myself on the basement. It was the easiest part to weatherproof (and secure). Also, I knew that the renovations to the top two levels would be much more extensive, and I needed to be able to work while those projects were being done. I managed to get the basement to the point where it felt less like a basement, and comfortable to work in.

Here are some pictures of the "finished" basement level.

  • A panorama of the entire space.
  • The amp corner.

The Stage Level

Work on the middle level started in March, right around the time my son Hunter was born. This level is where the stage area will be built. When finished, this space will support recording or streaming of shows from small to medium sized bands.

This level isn't completely done, there's an awful lot of electrical work to be done, and plenty of video equipment to buy. But it's come a long way in a short amount of time.

  • Angle 1.
  • From the stage.


This level wasn't even in my initial plan. I knew that it was big enough to use for an editing suite / hangout area, but I was so focused on the stage area that I sort of pushed this to the back of my mind. Thankfully my carpenter had some great ideas that got me interested in finishing this level, and I'm glad he did. The result is amazing, and as I talked about in this episode, working up here is simply sublime.

  • Current setup.
  • The other angle.
  • Almost done.

The Deck

Currently under the hammer and saw is the front deck. The old deck looked cool, but it was made of rough-cut lumber (non-treated), so it had begun to rot in multiple places. Not to mention that when it got wet, it became as slick as ice.

Since it needed to be rebuilt anyway, I had them extend it further out, install proper drainage pipes, and build it out of the correct lumber this time.

  • A LOT of digging was necessary.
  • The skeleton.
  • Almost done.

As I expressed in this episode, I am profoundly grateful for everyone who supports what I do at TXBA, and I am bound and determined to use this space to create things that wouldn't be possible otherwise.